The European Language Resources Association invites proposals for the
production of language resources, open to companies and organisations
world-wide. Starting date for proposals being November 1997.
ELRA was established in February 1995, with the support of the European
Commission, to promote the development and exploitation of Language
Resources (LR). These resources includes all data necessary for language
engineering, such as monolingual and multilingual lexica, text corpora,
speech databases and terminology. The role of the non-profit association is
to promote the production of LR, to collect and validate the data and,
foremost, make them available to users.
ELRA is planning to commission the production, packaging and customisation
of language resources needed by the Language Engineering Community, and is
inviting applications for production projects, which could be eligible for
funding from ELRA.
As of now, there is no deadline set for the presentation of proposals. But
there will be continuous reviewing of incoming proposals, which means that
the first proposals to be received will have the first chance of being
Included in your proposal should be the following:
· A clear and detailed description of the data to be produced.
· A description of how the data will be used. If it is to be incorporated in
any applications or used for development of any applications.
· A statement on why the data and the production is of importance the
Language Engineering Community.
· A statement on why the data and the production is of importance for your
· A statement justifying why ELRA should support the production, accompanied
with a list of previous work, experience, skills of the producer.
· A specification of by whom the data will be used. (internal use,
general/public use, etc.)
· A detailed description of how the production will be conducted; elements
of production and production phases, including detailed time estimates for
the entire production process, specifying all different phases of the
· A breakdown of the costs estimated for the entire production process.
Specify the cost effectiveness of the production, estimate the price of the
final product and the return on investment.
· Full co-ordinates of the applicant (including fax number and email address).
Proposals may be submitted by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (+33-1-45 86 44
88) or post (ELRA/ELDA, 87 avenue d'Italie, 75013 Paris, France).
· Only complete proposals will be reviewed. Should you have further
questions, please contact the ELDA office for details.
· All information will be kept strictly confidential and only used in the
context of this project.
· This call is an initial step towards the production projects and ELRA
reserve all rights to select the projects which will be qualified for funding.