Corpora: Re: Typing accents in Windows/Words (US-kbd)

From: David Powers (
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 05:32:41 MET DST

  • Next message: Mullen A.J.: "Re: Corpora: a particular type of sloppiness" wrote:

    > used to one without them! And anyway, what's the problem with
    > diacritics?
    > Monica Merino

    If you can tell me how to type them in Word under Windows on a US
    English keyboard I would appreciate it.

    I only know two methods. Open the Character Map application and

    1. Mouse click the character you want, clear the text field, click
    select, click copy, and paste into your document, then set the font and
    character attributes consistent with the surrounding text. Remember the
    ALT-0233 () or whatever key combination is shown.

    2. Use the appropriate remembered 5 key combination from 1.

    I have searched in vain for shortcuts similar to those that can be used
    in professional products and operating systems. I used to use a laptop
    with a German keyboard and flip between US and German layouts depending
    if I was typing English or something else, but that laptop has been
    retired (386SX).

    Associate Professor David M. W. Powers PhD Facsimile: +61-8 820 13626
    Director, AILab, Informatics & Engineering UniOffice: 08 820 13663
    The Flinders University of South Australia Secretary: 820 12662
    GPO Box 2100 ADELAIDE South Australia 5001 PrvMobile: +61-414-824307

    Physical/Courier: 343-5, Information Science/Technology Bldg: CarPark 15

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Fri Apr 20 2001 - 09:42:56 MET DST